Simple Fried Green Tomatoes
This classic dish only takes 25 minutes to prepare. Perfect as a starter to any classic southern dish.
- 1 Sheet Wax Paper
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 Tbps Water
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Yellow Cornmeal
- 1 Pinch Sea Salt (to taste)
- 1 Pinch Black Pepper (to taste)
- 2 Pounds Green Tomatoes, Sliced
- 1 Cup Canola Oil, For Frying
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper.
- Beat eggs and water in a shallow bowl. Place flour and cornmeal in 2 separate shallow bowls. Season cornmeal with salt and pepper.
- Dip each tomato slice into flour, then dip into the egg mixture. Press tomato into cornmeal mixture, shaking off excess. Transfer tomato to a prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tomato slices, arranging tomatoes in a single layer.
- Heat about 1/4 inch canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat until oil begins to shimmer. Fry tomatoes in batches until golden and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Drain on paper towel-lined plates. Repeat with remaining tomatoes.