Heat Lamp Used for Chickens Causes Fire at Richmond Hill Middle School

989
Richmond Hill Middle School Logo

Last updated: 7/11/19 @ 7:45am

At 10:39 p.m. on Thursday, July 4th, Bryan County Emergency Services responded to Richmond Hill Middle School in response to an “alarm showing general fire”.

Upon arrival, heavy white smoke was found coming from classroom 321 in the 300 wing of the school with zero visibility inside the classroom.

According to Bryan County Emergency Services Chief Freddy Howell, the automatic sprinkler system played a major role in extinguishing the fire.

At 12:05 a.m. on July 5th, visibility returned to normal and the fire was determined to be extinguished.

At 12:23 a.m., dispatch was able to make contact with principal Dr. William McGrath, who was able to assist over the telephone with turning off the sprinklers to prevent further water damage.

At 12:50 a.m., the sprinklers were disconnected.

At 1:22 a.m., the last unit was cleared from the scene.

An investigation identified the ignition source to be a heat lamp against plywood that was being used as a chicken incubator.

According to an incident report, the estimated total dollar loss is $10,000.

Richmond Hill 411 has reached out for a statement from superintendent Dr. Paul Brooksher, but haven’t heard back at the time of this publication.

After moving to Richmond Hill, GA in the fall of 2018, Matt wanted to become immediately involved in the community. Without hesitation, he created the Richmond Hill Community Facebook group which reached 2,700 members in just 5 months. After building this community, he decided they needed an honest, reliable news source to keep them informed. Thus, Richmond Hill 411 was born!

Warning: require(/home/mattsayl/public_html/richmondhill411.com/wp-content/plugins/td-composer/legacy/Newspaper): failed to open stream: Success in /home/mattsayl/public_html/richmondhill411.com/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 1508

Warning: require(/home/mattsayl/public_html/richmondhill411.com/wp-content/plugins/td-composer/legacy/Newspaper): failed to open stream: No such device in /home/mattsayl/public_html/richmondhill411.com/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 1508

Fatal error: require(): Failed opening required '/home/mattsayl/public_html/richmondhill411.com/wp-content/plugins/td-composer/legacy/Newspaper/' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php71/pear') in /home/mattsayl/public_html/richmondhill411.com/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 1508